It’s only September, but after poring through dozens and dozens of collections from the ongoing Fashion Weeks, we completely understand if you’re tempted to skip a season and head straight for the neons and modern printed separates. We too were delighted by the bright colors, fresh shapes and infinite styling opportunities afforded by the mix-and-match pieces.
So we thought to ourselves, don’t we have the advantage of dressing like it is Spring/Summer all year round? Can’t we, um, skip the parkas, heavy coats and autumnal jewel tones?
You know what? I think we can. So behold, your guide to shop the trends of next year… now!
The past few seasons have been awash with color, and the future only gets brighter. Orange was the clear superstar of NY, supported by flashes of zingy chartreuse and marigold, and rounded of with super fresh shades of blues, greens and pinks.
1. Bright Pink Tie Hem Top, Dorothy Perkins.com, approx RM50
2. Bright Green Gamine Collar Dress, Oasis, approx RM100
3. Chartreuse Suede Clasp Purse, Topshop.com, approx RM60
4. Bright Blue Embellished Cami, Topshop.com, approx RM220
5. Vix Lola Tired Voile Dress, Net-a-Porter, approx RM756
6. Capri Pants, Warehouse, approx RM100
7. Bright Coral Paperbag Waist Midi Skirt, Topshop.com, approx RM228
Meanwhile, the mullet hemline will continue to befuddle the boys. In tanks, dresses, coats –these high-low/dipped/whatever you call ’em hems are already everywhere, so you can shop the look right now.
On the runways of DKNY, Diane von Furstenberg and Herve Leger, the heavily patterned, globally inspired prints of the current season were turned up a notch for S/S 12 in cooler more understated colors and styles.
1. Motherboard Matinee Necklace, Kyler by Joy O, approx RM348
2. Tribal Print Tee, Topshop.com, approx RM90
3. Tribal Safari Halter Cami, Warehouse.co.uk, approx RM50
4. BCBGMaxAzria Tribal Print Double Jacquard Skirt, Revolve Clothing, RM567
This one truly dominated the shows. They came in solid brights, digitally manipulated prints, florals, you name it. The variety was spectacular, with designers picking both classic and hi-tech fabrics and presenting dresses that spanned a plethora of hemlines, silhouettes and uh, opacities.
Two-and-a-half fashion weeks in and it was confirmed that this would be cemented as a serious trend for Spring/Summer 2012. Alexander Wang, Phillip Lim, BCBG Max Azria, Nicole Miller and Marc by Marc Jacobs gave us pieces inspired by gamut of sports: tennis, athletics, motocross, nascar, scuba diving and bmx. Get day-to-day pieces in sport fabrics and finishes or with streamlined shapes, or just wear your gym gear all day. I KID. Don’t.
1. Cheap Monday Cut Away Shoulder Dress, asos, approx RM155
2. Aqua Bass Clef Dress with Mesh Insert Contrast Paneling, asos, approx RM200
3. Adidas by Stella McCartney Studio Singlet, Harrods.com, approx RM250
4. Adidas by Stella McCartney Snakeskin Print Run Tank, Harrods.com, approx RM250
5. Lisa Marie Fernandez Neoprene Mini Skirt, The Outnet, approx RM315
Whether flouncy or tailored, printed or solid, shorts have always been fantastic and the scores of bare legs strutting down the runways were a celebration of that. Add a matching shell top or blazer for impact.
1. Jade Animal Print Shorts, Topshop.com, approx RM210
2. Premium Lurex Boucle Shorts, Topshop.com, approx RM200
3. Marni Printed Silk Shorts, The Outnet, approx RM531
4. Electric Blue Tile Print Shorts, Topshop.com, approx RM90
5. Dalmatian Print Shorts, Topshop.com, approx RM450
6. Indulgence Silk Shorts, Net-a-Porter, approx RM619
7. Marni Printed Cotton Shorts, The Outnet, approx RM473
8. Petite Faux Leather Shorts, Topshop.com, RM240
9. Sparkle & Fade Paperbag Short, Urban Outfitters, approx RM144
Whew… that was a fun roundup! So which of these trends are you looking to rock?
Text by Grace Wong