It’s the end of the Fall US television season, folks. And while other sites are rounding up plotlines, anticipating cast changes and sharing breaking news on the latest network TV show cancellations (No more Bent/Awake/Alcatraz? Boo!) and renewals (Community stays, whew!), we at Tongue in Chic take special pride in our duty to reflect upon the wardrobes of our favourite small screen stylistas, narrow down the trends and seek real life applications.
Jess from New Girl
Love her or hate her, you can’t deny that Jessica Day (the one and only Zooey D) is her own girl – drumming to her own beat, reveling in throwing genitalia jokes in yo’ face while clad head-to-toe in all Modcloth has to offer… with a few vintage extras from the weekly thrift store trawl. Steal her style with classic staples like striped sweaters, retro girly shapes – high-waisted shorts come to mind, and blitzes of colour and print. Don’t forget the cute pyjamas!
1. Yellow Cardigan, Mango, RM99
2. Coach Tour Dress in Tangerine, Modcloth, approx. RM148.05
3. Boat Necked Striped Top, Uniqlo, RM24.90
4. Pleated Skirt in Heartthrob, J.Crew, approx. RM310
5. Mesh Cloud Ballet Flats, F-Troupe on Asos, approx. RM565
6. Round Bag, Pull & Bear, RM99
7. Zest is More Dress in Green, Modcloth, approx. RM155
Ashley from Revenge
Revenge fans, rejoice, because the show has just been renewed by ABC for a second season. The twisty plot and busloads of scheming, good looking characters looks like a working formula. While lead Revenge-exactor Emily Thorne (Emily VanCamp) appears in a series of thoroughly refined looks throughout the first season, we relate much better to her social climbing best friend, Ashley Davenport’s (Ashley Madweke) peppy, chic wardrobe. Inspired by UK it-girls Alexa Chung and Olivia Palermo, the mix of new designers and lots of high street equal looks that stand out from the dullness of The Hampton’s residents’ safe sartorial choices.
1. Trench coat, H&M, approx. RM150
2. Coral top, Topshop, approx. RM185
3. Earrings, Dorothy Perkins, approx. RM43
4. Skirt, H&M, approx. RM74
5. Crossover sandal, Zara, RM279
Harvey and Mike from Suits
This one is pretty self-explanatory. Suits is the story of a Mike Ross, a gifted attorney without a law degree and his senior partner mentor Harvey Specter, played by Patrick J. Adams and Gabriel Macht respectively. Whether conducting investigations or trading zingy dialogue, the guys are clad in what else but the trade uniform -suits. The show’s costume department makes sure we know who’s boss – Harvey prefers fussier three-piece suits with pinstripes and peaked lapels while Mike keeps it casual in two-piece suits with notched lapels, matched with skinny ties in solid colors.
1. Pinstripe wool suit jacket, Lord & Taylor, approx. RM540
2. Slim-fit pinstripe suit jacket, Lord & Taylor, approx. RM610
Karen and Ivy from Smash
Another show slated for renewal is musical drama series Smash. Katherine McPhee and Megan Hilty play aspiring Broadway leading ladies competing for the role of Marilyn in a new production. The rival actors are usually seen in casual dresses, workout gear in the studio and of course Norma Jean/Marilyn ensembles. Fitted dresses, ultra blonde wigs and classic lipstick will always make for a smashing look. Oh yes.
1. Mint spotty 50s dress, Dorothy Perkins, approx. RM135
2. Sea you soon dress, Modcloth, approx. RM130
3. Purple sleeveless wrap dress, Dorothy Perkins, approx. RM86
4. Silver sequin trim sandals, Debenhams.com, approx. RM74
5. Sugar pie peep toe mid heel shoes, Asos, approx. RM135
Carrie from Homeland
A whole other type of Carrie, Claire Danes’ driven CIA officer character in Homeland requires her to be suited up for briefings or keeping it neutral and basic while carrying out missions abroad. We think Carrie Mathison might be better dressed than her real life counterparts. Tailored fits and cardigans make up a sizable part of her daily wear while scarves keep Carrie both warm and stealthy.
1.Grey textured crepe tux jacket, debenhams.com, approx. RM390
2. Loose weave scarf, H&M, approx. RM36.57
3. Slub rib henley neck half sleeve T, Uniqlo, approx. RM64
4. Reluxe burgundy print fleece scarf, fashion-conscience.com, approx. RM125
5. Linen check long sleeve shirt, Uniqlo, RM129.90
Which TV stylista do you like best? Did we miss any of your favourites?